Performance of Sonic on Nintendo Switch
The blue blur strikes again! Sonic is so fast that when it comes to playing our game on Nintendo Switch, issues related to this speed have come to our attention.
We are aware of performance issues on the Nintendo Switch & Switch Lite. We understand this can be frustrating and may affect your gameplay experience. The performance issues players could face are caused by chunk loading issues. In other words, Minecraft on Nintendo Switch struggles to keep up with loading the world at the speed of sound.
We provided a patch (Update 1.1.0) to the game which provided ways to improve performance on Switch (and other devices). We also added a way to tweak achievements to ensure players of all skills levels can complete the achievement board.
Steps you can take to improve performance:
If you are experiencing significant lag we can recommend taking the following steps to improve performance:
- Disable “Music looping” by interacting with the lever next to the “Omochao” in the tutorial room.
- Interact with the “Omochao” in the tutorial room to read about the “Lab Clear” button which will remove decor from the lab. This is not reversible but may give a performance boost.
- Allow the game to catch up when chunks are struggling to load, let Sonic or friends catch a breather.
- Set your render distance to 6, during our testing this gave the best performance.
- Turn off the following settings under “Video”:
- Fancy leaves
- Render clouds
- Beautiful skies
- Smooth lighting
- Fancy graphics
- If you are able to, try uninstalling games from the device that are no longer in use
- Clear your cache (in Minecraft settings) of all Resource & Behaviour Packs from other maps.
- If you can, delete old Minecraft worlds that are not in use.
What we intend to do:
We are committed to being open and transparent about these issues and our team is hard at work on:
- Investigating rare instances of “lock-ups” (the game going unresponsive) on Nintendo Switch.
- Working closely with Mojang to explore ways that chunk loading issues can be improved upon.
- Providing a way to change the 1:30s completion achievement to be achievable on all devices - we added this in Update 1.1.0 via the “Omochao”.
We will continue to explore solutions until we know that everyone is getting the best experience they can, regardless of platform.